Thursday, January 11, 2007

Lace!

I got the socks finished and washed, and they were almost dry when I gave them to her. Forgot that wool takes a long time to dry, apparently, cause I haven't used it much before now. She loves them, although they're a touch big. She's gonna try throwing em in the washer and dryer to shrink em a bit. I hope it works. I must have had my gauge off a quarter stitch or so.

But, to cheer myself up, I picked up the pattern for the Peacock Feathers shawl today right after work, and started it at SCA fight practice tonight!! I'm so excited to be starting my very first lace project. I've never done YOs or read charts before, so that's been quite interesting.

My biggest problem will be to remember not to expect much in the way of looks until it's blocked. I know it'll look like crap til then, but my brain keeps expecting to see something.

I'm at row 15 so far, and hope to get to 29 or so tonight, or halfway up Chart 1. I'm off work tomorrow, so I should get lots done over the weekend.

I also am doing Fetching in Bernat Satin, and found out you can get 3 gloves from 1 ball, so I'll buy another ball of blue tomorrow, probably, so I can finish this pair and have enough for a future pair. Maybe a Mother's Day gift?

The sock in the Kingsfoil is still only at row 5 of the ribbing. I'm not sure if it's large enough for my foot; I'm doing 84 stitches on 2mm needles. I was aiming for the larger size of Jaywalker, but I think now that I see how short the color switches are, I'm going to do yet another plain stockinette sock, but maybe with some simple lace or eyelets, now that I know how to make those :D

I also bought some Opal handpainted (color 21) at the LYS; it's on half price, and there were 5 or so skeins, but I just bought one, as my budget's tight this month because of not working for a whole week so far. But this shawl will keep my interest for some time, I know, so I will try my best not to buy anything else til March.

Well, off to the laces! :P

No comments: